Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Borobudur and then some . . .

October 5th, 2013

Visiting the Borobudor Temple might have been my favorite stop so far!  We snuck off the Sail Indonesia path so we could anchor in the 5th largest town of Indonesia, Semerang, which happened to be only a few hours away from the temple.  We anchored in a giant shipping port - something that would never happen in the States before we jumped on local buses and headed to the Borobudor Town for the night.  

IMG 4595We anchored the boat on a jetty in a busy shipping port - giant fishing vessels behind us!

IMG 4594And the navy to our side!  (They kindly let us in to their head quarters to do laundry!)

IMG 4524First glance at the temple . . . we woke up at 5:30 am to be there right when it opened at 6am.

IMG 4528This is the largest Buddhasist Temple in the world - 7 stories high.

IMG 4529The Buddhists Monks who visit the temple walk circles around each level - on the first level they walk 3 steps then bend down to kiss the floor.  It's like a new Crossfit WOD.

IMG 4535Here's a tour guy, Hatah, explaining one of the 1,200 reliefs that is in found on the floors around the temple.

IMG 4533UNESCO restored this whole temple over 10 years back in the 70's - they took it all apart and put it back together again. 

IMG 4545The top of the temple is full of tupahs - a Buddhist sign.

IMG 4549Inside the tupahs are perfect Buddha statues, except the main tupah which is empty inside.  The final state of enlightenment.

IMG 4550Here's the view from the top.

IMG 4559UNESCO won't put stones back into place in the temple unless they are certain where they go.

IMG 4565After the temple I took off a tofu making tour.  Just outside the town there is village where over 50 houses make tofu for the local markets.

IMG 4564Each giant square of tofu costs about US $2 - yum!!!

IMG 4567The only bummer is they use mostly USA grown soy beans!  Boo GMO's!!!  It costs them US 80 cents per kilo, thanks to our government subsidized soy beans.

IMG 4569The fresh soy milk I drank with my guide, Erik, made me forget about GMO's for a moment.  Mmmm….

IMG 4571Next on my tour - batik making!!!!  Here's where they measure the cloth.

IMG 4575Once the cloth has been cut, the women use hot, melted wax to draw patterns on the fabric.

IMG 4580I got to make my own batik, but as you can see I used the stamp to apply hot wax instead of free handing it.

IMG 4585I did free hand my name though when I was all done with the waxing!  (Think Ukrainian eggs mom!!!)

IMG 4586That's my finished wrap covered in now dry wax.

IMG 4587Next I went to a local dye shop, where some women dyed my fabric a darker blue than I wanted it. :(

IMG 4591After the dye set in my fabric, about half an hour, the ladies boiled my wrap until the beeswax melted off, leaving my white designs underneath.

IMG 4602Tada!!!!  My finished hand made batik!

1 comment: