Friday, June 27, 2014

To Gebenstorf and Beyond

Since my cousin Nicole is so gracious at not only hosting us, but also playing tour guide, our visit in Switzerland has revolved around her house as home base. Here are some of the fun activities we have done in Switzerland.

IMG 2125
Gebenstorf is a small village where my cousin lives. It is surrounded by a river, forest, and is just plain beautiful all around.

P6120007
After exploring Gebenstorf we set off to Lenzburg Castle. The castle is now a museum and depict how people used to live right down to the kitchen. I guess medieval times were not vegan.

P6120010
Here is some of the art in the castle. I have never seen such sickly looking angels before. I guess medieval times were not known for great healthcare either.

P6120014
After the castle we went to the Frey Chocolate Factory. Not only did we get to eat unlimited amounts of chocolate we got to make our very own custom chocolate bars. 

P6130020
We went to Zurich. It's a beautiful city that has decided that the giant crane in the picture is art and erected it solely for decorative purposes. I’m serious. I’m guessing people of Zurich would love the artsy Oakland docks. 

P6130031
The Zurich skyline is definitely different from other places we have visited.

P6130039
We took a ride around Zurich lake just so I could take this picture.

P6130043
Here is a Zurich window that caught my fancy. The Swiss love their striped window shutters.

P6130050
Here we are celebrating the world cup at FIFA headquarters!

P6150056
After Zurich we went to Solothurn. A cute, medieval city better described in Alison’s post.

P6150063
With amazing baroque churches Solothurn saved me a trip to Italy!

P6150070
Now here is a version of Lady Justice I had not seen before. 

P6150074
What good is a medieval city without a moat and perimeter wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment