Sunday, November 17, 2013

Just like the mall in America

Yesterday, we went to a mall at the Petronas Towers. Ali decided she needed a haircut and the mall was where she wanted to go. This mall might be one of the fanciest malls in Malaysia with stores like Cartier and Tiffany's. Like most malls though it had electronics, gadget stores, hair salons and even a McDonald's. The salon was the reason we went there after all, so here is Ali getting a haircut. 


Meanwhile, I had some free time to look at camera shops and have a chat with my mom. I shared with my mother how much this mall was just like being in the states: the stores, the lights, and even the food court. 

So I made my way to a Jamba Juice look alike and ordered a fresh coconut to quench my thirst. The girl behind the counter is a young girl just like the teenagers at the malls in America. She is wearing a hijab, but I don't even notice the veils anymore with them being so common in Malaysia. It was when she pulled a giant machete that she got my attention.  That is when I realized I was not in Kansas. She proceeded to give the coconut a few swift and decisive hits.


She proceeded to pry it open with the tip of the blade very casually. 


Next, she handed me a coconut ready to drink with a brief reminder that no matter how much it looks like it, I am not in America and a warning for men not to mess with Malay girls. 

As for Ali's haircut:


Beautiful as ever and now with hair more manageable for boat life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment