Friday, January 3, 2014

Muay Thai and Chilies

After a very nice Christmas morning, I got sick for a few days with Bali Belly.  Boo Hoo.  But I am better now and have a bit of catching up to do. Here are pictures of our fun in Chiang Mai.

PC260031
Muay Thai is the big sport in Thailand. Apparently when there is a big match the whole country grinds to a halt as everyone is glued to their TV. We went to see a match and it started with the young ones. They start training at 6 and have matches pretty soon after that.  Red boxers won this match.

PC260038
Similar to boxing, but with kicking allowed, the matches were a lot of fun to watch.

PC260052
 For a half-time show they piled a bunch of fighters into the ring, put blindfolds on them and let them loose. It was quite amusing.

PC260066
We went to this fight to see Perg. He trained Ali, Wendy and Jim while I was sick and appears to be a fierce fighter.

PC270001
Here is Ali being obnoxious and not letting me take her picture.

IMG 1552
We headed out to the nearby farms for cooking school. These are water towers in a small village that got my attention.

PC310107
We decided to go a cooking school together. We started with a tour of the farm to see, smell and study our fresh ingredients.

PC310111
Ali and our instructor Benni. She was a lot of fun and very patient with me in the kitchen.

PC310112
Benni teaching us about the birds eye chili, my new friend. It is what makes food around here Thai spicy.

PC310115
Ali posing with some Jackfruit.

You wish you could see me with an apron cooking something, don’t you. Since I can’t take pictures of myself you will have to way for Ali’s post for that.

1 comment:

  1. First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks.
    muaythai

    ReplyDelete