Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The ride that made the loop fun.

We rented bikes for our ride and treated myself to a Kawi DTracker 250. I could have rented a BMW 650 GS for gobs of money, but out here that is overkill and certainly way too much when Ali was on a 110 cc scooter.

IMG 1568
My ride was tall, fun, nimble and very easy on gas. It was like a reliable version of my KTM.

IMG 1566
The rest of the gangs got scooters which meant waiting for everyone at the top of the hills. (Although Ali handled the turns in a way I didn't know people could do on scooters!)

P1130328
On our fifth day Jim and I went out exploring on unmarked roads to see if we could make a loop to Sappong. This allowed for us to spend time with buffaloes!

IMG 1598
As our road deteriorated into nothing we came to a river with no bridge. Scooters can do river crossings as Jim would later prove.

IMG 1602
The water buffalo were not too impressed though.

P1130330
Eventually the road turned into a rice field. That is where we decided to turn back.

P1130332
On our way back we found 100's of fish gathering on their own at the river. Turns out the local monks blessed them and now feed them. So the locals don’t eat them and the fish just hang out in this tiny section of the whole river. 

IMG 1607
I definitely put the 250 thru its paces and the rear tire would show it. I would not be able to finish the ride without a new tire.

IMG 1610
We found a local shop to put a new tire. Our mechanic handled a new tire into that rim with nothing else other than a pair of spoons and jumping up and down on the new tire like a monkey. He was the leader of the local dirt riding club and all around a cool cat.

IMG 1612
Good thing I got new rubber. I would scrub it from edge to edge on our way back to Chiang Mai. The twisties were so much fun I didn’t get around to taking any other pictures. Those who ride will understand ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment